One of the first questions to ask yourself when you are beginning a new health and fitness programme is, “why am I really doing this?”
Such a simple question but when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, it all comes down to what you want from it.
On the surface, you may read this and say…
“I just want to lose weight”
(Feel free to change lose weight to your own choice)
BUT, and it is a big but, hence the capital letters… That’s not actually what you really want.
Yes, you read that right… You do not want to just lose weight.
Bullshit!!! I hear you say, but please bare with me for a moment.
As you may have seen on my website, I actually have a range of programmes for weight loss so i’m not saying that you don’t want to lose weight.
What I am saying is that the reason you want to lose weight is your real goal.
So let’s take a look at what losing weight can do for you…
- It can build your confidence so you don’t feel uncomfortable in your clothes
- You may want to meet a new partner or friends, so much easier to do if you’re feeling comfortable with yourself and happy.
- It can raise your self-esteem after months or years of looking in a mirror and feeling low. There’s no point looking back at what you could of done, what can you do now?
- It can give you the confidence to take your t-shirt off on holiday and not sit there sweating like you wouldn’t believe in the 30 degree afternoon sun.
- It may be the difference between having a small light on in the bedroom when you’re having some adult fun-time instead of a blanket lights-out rule.
- It could be that you want to be more active with your kids as they grow up.
These are just some examples, i’m just scratching the surface really. Feel free to add your own.
So why does this even matter?
It matters because there will come a time in your journey where progress might not be as fast you like and impatience is getting the better of you.
Powerful goals that really mean something to you keep you on track.
It matters because there will come a time in your journey when motivation might dip.
Powerful goals take questions away.
Going to the gym isn’t a question.
Eating what you need to eat isn’t a question.
Just like I hope brushing your teeth twice a day isn’t a question.
You just do it.
If you are going to make changes to your lifestyle that may include more exercise, eating better quality food in the right amounts, drinking more water and going to sleep in a regular routine, having a clear goal as to why exactly you’re doing all this will bring clarity to your decision making and you’ll prioritise what really matters.
Should you share your goals with other people?
Do what you need to do for you.
If telling other people is going to help the process, do it.
If you want to keep it to yourself, that’s fine too.
Know yourself as an individual and embrace it, this is your health, fitness and lifestyle so do what you need to do to make yourself happy in all aspects of life.
So, take some time to think about the real reasons you want to put the time and effort into living a healthy lifestyle.
It could well be the difference between success and failure.
Thanks for reading, have a great day.
Do you need confidential help with your health, fitness or nutrition? I have a range of services available, with Personal Training in my Private Gym in Manchester, also at your home or workplace in the surrounding areas. For clients further afield, I provide Online Personal Training, Nutritional Consultancy & Private Fitness Holidays.